Track Workouts for Week Six


This past Saturday, I was on a run with my boyfriend after we went to the gym. Both of us did not workout throughout the spring or summer, because of coronavirus fears. However, coming back to school we felt comfortable enough with the new rules put in place to keep us safe, like a limited amount of people allowed in the gym and temperature checks at the door, to begin working out again. We have been working out almost everyday since getting back on campus. We usually work on biceps, chest, triceps, shoulders, and abs, but we recently started adding more cardio into our routine. 

At first we thought the dance classes we were taking would be cardio enough for us, but with no rehearsals in the evenings, we decided to up our cardio by picking up running again to lose that little bit of weight still left over from five months of sitting at home. Anyways, as I was saying, we were running on Saturday around campus and we ended up by the track and I was suddenly taken back to my cross country and track and field days from middle school and high school. I ran 5Ks for cross country and middistance  races for track and field. Every year my races would vary, but my favorites were the ones I ran junior and senior year: the 4x400m relay, 4x800m relay, 800m and 1600m. 

I was inspired to start pulling track and field workouts from the depths of my mind to step up my cardio game after ending up near the track on our run. Before each of our workouts, we would run a slow 800m to warm up. On Sunday, we did a workout where we did two 1600m runs, two 800m runs, and two 400m runs. On Monday, our workout was running one 1600m run, two 800m runs, two 400m runs, and four 200m sprints. We took a break on Tuesday because our legs were sore and we needed rest. We got back on it on Wednesday and did a workout where we ran four 800m runs and four 400m runs.

My times surprisingly got pretty low pretty quick. During Monday's workout I ran my first mile in 5 minutes, 45 seconds and I was super happy to get my mile time so low again so quickly. My next goal is to break 5 minutes, 30 seconds for one mile and eventually get down to 5 minutes again. My splits for my workouts on Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday are below.








Comments

  1. BOY! Oh my gosh. That's impressive, kudos to you. I used to do track and field and cross country in high school as well. I only did cross country my senior year (after two years of hell in track and field because of the coach) and it is one of my life regrets that I did not start it my freshman year. I think my fastest mile was a 6.45, but I haven't ran in a hot minute. I had started a workout routine in January that consisted of mainly lifting, and unfortunately had to stop due to COVID as well. I really want to start going again, but I'm so nervous with being super out of shape now. This might motivate me to start going again though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You got this! I was also super nervy to get back into working out after getting out of shape during quarantine, but after a couple weeks I'm super glad I hopped back in. The gyms at ONU feel safe for me and I'm super happy with their new protocols they have in place!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend Field Trip to Cleveland

Tech Week and I'm Tired