Weekend Field Trip to Cleveland


My mom has been wanting me to come home for a couple of weeks now. One reason is because she misses me, and another is because the registration for my car is going to need to be renewed soon and I need to get an E-check before it can happen. There are no places to get an E-check near Ada. The nearest place to get one done is literally five minutes from my house in Amherst. My mom told me to see if any of my friends wanted to come along with me. I got a small group who said they were interested in checking out some of my favorite places in Cleveland, but only two of them didn't flake the day before because they were too busy. Saturday morning I woke up at 9 a.m. and picked up my boyfriend, Ryan, and freshman year roommate/current friend, Zack, and left for home by 10 a.m. 

I got home at noon and we chatted with parents for a little bit. My dad was closing down the pool for the year and my mom took my car to get the E-check before the station closed at 1 p.m. and I took her car to Cleveland. 

We got coffee at Dunkin' and then headed to West Side Market. This place is an old terminal and was renovated to have places for wonderful vendors to sell fresh produce, meats, desserts or a hot meal on the go. You can get anything from a dessert or lunch crepe, a bratwurst, a gyro, a pizza bagel or a roast beef pasty! I always get a gyro from Steve's Gyros, a vanilla bean lemonade from this juice place, and macaroons from one of the many places that sell them there. While there, Ryan, Zack and I met up with my friend Julie. Julie and I had done theater together since the summer after my junior year of high school and have been friends ever since! She is actually the one who bleached and dyed my hair this summer!

We all picked up our food and then ate it outside in the park across the street. After that we got ice cream at my favorite ice cream place in the entire world, Mitchell's Ice Cream. I got a two scoop with the flavors bing cherry chocolate chunk and wild berry crumble. I was already so full from the gyro, but I needed to get my favorite ice cream.

From there I took us all to the Cleveland Museum of Art. The museum was gorgeous and we saw some pieces by Dali and Van Gogh and saw a new exhibit on photography and how photographers use proofs to pick their favorite shot and how they want to crop it. I love going to the art museum because it blows my mind how people know how to make such intricate and detailed pieces of art. It is also crazy thinking of how old the pieces of art are and what the world must have been like when the art was created. 

From there we took pictures outside of the museum and said goodbye to Julie. Ryan, Zack and I then had dinner with my parents and headed back to Ada. My mom made chicken fajitas, my favorite meal. It was really good to be back home, if only for a day. It was also really nice to be in a city again after being in Ada for seven weeks. I feel refreshed, rejuvenated, reenergized and ready to take on the rest of the semester.

Check out some of my favorite pieces of art, pictures of nature and some pictures with friends below!











Comments

  1. I'm from Cortland, Ohio, which is a little over an hour from Cleveland, so I used to take day trips there all the time growing up. West Side Market is one of my family's favorite places to go in Cleveland! We also used to go to a lot of Indians games, so we loved going to eat at Great Lakes before riding the Fatty Wagon to the stadium. I also loved going to the Rock Hall, the Botanical Gardens, and Legacy Village (basically just for The Cheesecake factory). I can't believe I've never had Mitchell's ice cream, but I love Jeni's. This post brought up a lot of fun memories, and now I want to go back for a weekend trip. I haven't been to the Cleveland Museum of Art either, so I would love to check it out sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Literally when we were going to the art museum I was like "Dangit I wish we got tickets to the botanical garden..." That place is gorgeous!!!!! I haven't been in like five years! Also, I have never tried Jeni's so I must try it on my next trip to Cleveland. I am an ice cream connoisseur.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Track Workouts for Week Six

Tech Week and I'm Tired