What I Learned from "The Actor's Business Plan"

Actor Websites | A Career Guide for the Acting Life: The...


For this week's blog I wanted to reflect on and share what I learned from some reading I did in a book called "The Actor's Business Plan: A Career Guide for the Acting Life," by Jane Drake Brody. It is a book I have to read for a class I am taking as a musical theater major where we learn about how to sustain ourselves as performers in the real world. While everything I'm writing about is specifically about my experience as an actor, there is wisdom everyone can use about navigating the real world or entering a career. 

Brody tells actors they need to put in as much work in their real lives as they do for the shows they perform in or the acting classes they participate in. This involves research and determining what you want and need out of your life and career. For many actors it is hard to balance the two and they want to prioritize their work above relationships with families, friends, and romantic partners. I have definitely been guilty of letting my drive for theater blind me of the importance of these types of relationships. In high school, I would always be at rehearsal, auditioning for a next show, auditioning for college programs, taking voice lessons or waiting tables to afford the lessons/college auditions/gas to take me to all of the above, and grew distant from my friends at home and family members. I relied on the friends I’d make in the cast I was in at the time to fulfill my social tank, but would have to constantly tell my family I couldn’t make it to someone’s graduation party, birthday party, or even family reunions. Looking back at this time in my life, I can admire how hard I wanted to work for what I love, but I regret not spending more time with my family and friends before leaving for college. 

Brody also made a great point by challenging me to think of what I have to offer as a gift. I am the only person that looks like me, sounds like me, moves like me, acts like me, thinks like me and has all the specific qualities that makes me who I am. Therefore, if I think of what I have to offer as a gift, then I will be more likely to find myself in a position to offer that gift to the world rather than if I thought of the world needing to give me something. This would have me going through life constantly begging for someone to give me a chance. If I am confident that what I have to offer is a gift, then I will not go through life constantly seeking validation through how much success or acclaim I do or do not receive. 

Brody also presented the idea of creating a list of goals for different aspects of your life including artistic dreams and real life dreams like day jobs, money, relationships, education/self-improvement and community service. She made it clear that you should be honest with yourself when evaluating these categories, and to not limit or judge yourself when writing down what you really want. Later on you can look at these goals, and realize what obstacles stand in your way of reaching these goals and figure out how to overcome them, but you shouldn’t let a seemingly insurmountable potential obstacle stop you from acknowledging what you actually desire.

One part which really resonated with me in the midst of a pandemic was her asking actors to think about the question, “If there were no theaters, films, TV shows or other entertainment outlets, what would you be happy doing?” when considering what day jobs we might want to have. This book is from 2018, and I don’t think she imagined actors having to face a reality where all of these entertainment outlets are actually closed.

 I lost a job this summer in the entertainment industry. I was supposed to go out on my first out-of-state summer stock gig in the town of Bemidji, Minnesota. I was going to play my first professional lead role as Danny in "Grease," and get to be a part of the dance-heavy ensemble of the jukebox musical "All Shook Up!" at Paul Bunyan Playhouse. However, when this all fell apart before my very eyes due to the pandemic, I had to find a way to make myself artistically and financially happy.

 I got a day job working at a factory making plastic boxes. It was very boring, but it was a job that I felt safe doing because everyone was wearing masks, keeping distance between each other, sanitizing machines and I didn’t have to deal with a general public who would have been very unhappy with safety measures like if I went back to my serving job. I saved a lot of money doing this job because I wasn't going anywhere, doing anything, or eating out. I did do a little bit of online shopping, but who didn't do some virtual retail therapy this summer? While this job drained me, I eventually found artistic fulfillment again by creating my own music. I invested in some recording equipment and started off producing instrumental background tracks for some of my go-to audition songs. I then recorded videos of myself singing with them into a microphone for high quality sound, and used a good camera, photography backdrop and ring light to make the video also look professional. Towards the end of summer, I bonded with my dad by helping him write a song for his band and showing him some of the recording tips and tricks I learned over the last few months. In this way, I followed Brody’s advice and made the best of my time in quarantine by meeting financial goals, relationship goals and artistic goals. Also, in the process I discovered I want to keep writing and recording my own music in the future!

I think the kind of honest, organized planning Brody described can help everyone be content with life in whatever career path they choose to go down. It is important for everyone to balance their work and relationships and find different types of fulfillment.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend Field Trip to Cleveland

Track Workouts for Week Six

Tech Week and I'm Tired